Friday, February 26, 2010

Hey, Hey, Hey!

As I was walking to class today, migraine pulsing and the light piercing my brain, I pulled my wool hat (the one my dad hates) over my eyes to see if I could see (hee hee). I could. And it made me think of Fat Albert's Dumb Donald and Mushmouth and that funny language that he used to speak.

It got me thinking... what was that weird language that Mushmouth used to speak? "Whatbuh webuh gonbuh dobuh?" So I did a little investigation and found out that Fat Albert was on TV for 12/13 years (1972-1985)! The weird language Mushmouth spoke was a variant of a language invented for kids on the old TV program, Zoom, called Ubbi Dubbi. To speak it, all you have to do is put ub in front of any vowel. Mushmouth, instead, put a buh on the end of all of his words.

Here's a few episodes featured on YouTube.

This one, "Busted," has Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids catching a ride in a stolen car and ending up having to go visit a prison to see what a life of crime will bring them. It was hilarious to watch the creepy prisoners but I would have really been scared of them if I was a kid. They were freaky!

I also found the Fat Albert Christmas Special, where Fat Albert and company help out a homeless family. I don't remember many Christmas specials from when I was a kid, but I remember this one. I think it was because Fat Albert and the Junkyard Gang really worked to help a homeless family who just had a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment