Monday, February 15, 2010

EPJ Final Project Idea

I have two potential ideas for my final project for EPJ.

First, a project featuring a graduate student at MU, Romanda Walker. Romanda has muscular dystrophy and is confined to a wheel chair. My roommate last year worked with her on the weekends, serving as her personal attendant.  At 30, Romanda has quite a few accomplishments under her belt, including Ms. Wheelchair USA 2008 1st runner up and being honored in the annual Jerry Lewis telethon. She also participates in a soccer league. I see Romanda as a good story because of how she has used what she's been given to the best of her abilities.

Second, I'm thinking of doing a story on a pipefitter. My grandfather, uncle, and father all worked as fitters over the years (my father mainly prior to getting a job in finance, his true passion). Most people have never heard of a pipefitter is, let alone can describe what they do. And any fitter will tell you that they are not a plumber!  I see this as a good story because of the myriad of locations that construction can provide. The challenges to this story are: (1) manuevering on a construction site can be dangerous so permissions would need to be arranged, etc., (2) Columbia does not have a local union for fitters, so it may require traveling to St. Louis or Kansas City.

No comments:

Post a Comment