Wednesday, February 10, 2010

An Idea, An Idea, My Kingdom for an Idea!


 
 Edvard Munch, The Scream

This is how I felt today about completing the one-day story for Picture Story before speaking to Deanna & Rey Perera. 

My first idea, featuring Steve Heying the Falconer, didn't pan out: when I called to set something up, like we'd previously discussed (and he seemed enthusiastic about doing), he balked.

So, onto idea number two: covering someone who owned a sheep farm. Rita had recommend Susie Everhart of Susie's Grass Fed Meats, who sells lamb at Columbia's Farmer's Market. She was very wary about me coming out and taking pictures, and let me know that this time of year, she doesn't do much with the sheep except feed them. So, another dead end.  (She did agree to possibly letting me come out in the spring, when there's more activity.)

At this point, I was getting that familiar pit in my stomach, the one I get when I start to envision having nothing, failing miserably.

So, I searched the internet for sheep farmers in Columbia, MO, and I found Deanna and Rey Perera of Petite Saline Sheep & Llama Farm in Boonville. It's about 30 minutes away, but they were very welcoming about me coming out. I mostly spoke with Dee (although they both had me on speaker phone) and she was very happy to hear that I was a student at the J-School. They work with MU's Vet School, and someone is in the works to come out and round up some of the sheep for educational purposes.

And now, I am off to start my project tomorrow at 8:30 am. I think this could lead to a bigger project. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment