Friday, February 12, 2010

Characters, Plots, and Dialogue

As I was reading the chapter on subjects (character), I was trying to figure out exactly how this fits with telling a story visually (it really fits when thinking about written characters, and since I've done that before...). But then she said this: "As soon as you start protecting your characters from the ramifications of their less-than-lofty behavior, your story will start to feel flat and pointless, just like in real life." How often do we talk about the subject being aware of the camera or the amount of 'access' to the subject? How often have I come across someone who doesn't want something about their life told, because it was 'private'? And how do I tell that part of the story without being a jerk? I mean, typically, I'm very accommodating, but how do I get to that part of the story with people that I'm going to see more than once, who are getting to know *me*, just as I a, getting to know them?

 

In the back of my mind, I'm hearing 'build their trust,' but sometimes when I think about that kind of thing, it feels really freaky to be that vulnerable. What I mean is - you have to let people in before they will let you in. The only way that they will be soft is for you to be soft first. And there's the issue of time. I guess what I'm thinking now is: for the really important stories, it isn't going to be drive-thru journalism, In and Out, where you don't stay and savor the meal. This is 5-star gourmet stuff that requires sometimes just sitting there with your hand on your belly in sheer ecstasy over the delicacies you're savoring. And isn't that what we all want to do, when we get past the laziness and the fear, is tell stories that eat like succulent surf 'n' turf.

 

 

My mouth is watering even now.

No comments:

Post a Comment