Wednesday, November 24, 2010

It's a Beautiful Day...

112210 - Fixing My Computer

It is a very beautiful day. While it's a slow day at the Missourian, it's a wonderful day in laptop land. Last Friday, I contacted Dell because the laptop I purchased at Tiger Tech would do all kinds of funky things that were really frustrating - like a magically jumping cursor for no apparent reason; a finicky touchpad which, according to its mood, may or may not recognize my finger; a USB 1394 port which refuses to recognize my external hard drive, and an eSATA port which sometimes recognizes my external hard drive if the mood strikes it right and I don't move the entire time I'm interacting with the drive...

_MG_3262a

Wonderful Dell client infrastructure representative David Merrifield came to The Missourian and disassembled my laptop, replaced the mother board, key board, and something else that I forgot the name of. He was kind enough to let me photograph him at work so I got some cool innards of my computer pictures.

_MG_3251a

It amazes me that my hard drive (the blue-squarish thing) is about 2.5 x 3 inches and yet it holds so much.

_MG_3265a

That strap around his wrist is connected to that silver clamp. It's purpose is to provide a ground so that he doesn't damage the circuitry with an accidental static electricity discharge.

_MG_3268a

_MG_3281a

Merrifield was nice enough to show me how to remove my keyboard the next time some sort of debris gets stuck in there and canned air isn't cutting it. Also, now to remove the back so that I can clean the lint out of the laptop's fan - lots of dust bunnies and a few pieces of Cullen's fur in there.

_MG_3270a

_MG_3275a

It was so bizarre looking at my laptop disassembled. Thank you, David Merrifield, for your great work!

_MG_3278a

No comments:

Post a Comment