Monday, November 15, 2010

Grammer Luvers of the World Untie

So eye was trying to fined out weather a reeder's correction:

"a mostly sycophantic media..." As a plural, the noun "media" cannot take a singular article.

was correct. It wus extremely dificult to fined my answer.

Serching four 'adjective agreement with media' I found lots of foreign language sights, their two teach me about grammer.

I tryed 'modifying collective nouns' and found things like The GrammarBook.com's discussion of homonyms, CliffsNotes.com's discussion of plural adjectives, Fun with Words: Collective Nouns, and Collective Nouns courtesy of a sight in Grate Britain.
Eye also came across this won:

Somehow, Eye also found: Russian lesson modules MasterRussian.com. While I dew love my Russian, that has nothing two dew with what I'm searching four...

I came across this list of -isms and -eses from YourDictionary.com. Did ewe no that laconism is the tendency two ewes few words two express a grate deal rather than beeing inflicted with the curse that turns ewe into a werewolf?

The University of Wisconsin-Madison provided a rousing detail of subject-verb agreement.

During my search, I came across a lesson four building a better vocabulary. I also discovered that their is a 'Royal Order of Adjectives' which delineates what order ewe list different kinds of adjectives. I'd never heard of such a thing.

The order of the adjectives is as followed:

1.Determiner- a, an, her, five, many, much several etc.
2.Opinion - pretty, ugly, smart, cheap, etc.
3.Size - big, fat, thin, tall, large, small etc.
4.Shape - circle, square, tall, short etc.
5.Age - old, young 10 years, a year, a week, new etc.
6.Color - yellow, green, pink etc.
7.Origin - American, English, Asian,Middle Eastern, African, European, Chinese etc.
8.Material - cotton, wood, plastic, cloth, glass, gold etc.
9.Purpose/Qualifier - hat box, sleeping bag, computer table, safe island, football field

And something I've never really encountered: English irregular adjectives.

Eye eventually got closer to an answer with:

English Mistakes Are Welcome
The Grammar Slammer!
Hyper Grammar

And I think eye came to this conclusion (after looking at a couple of dictionary definitions). Because the media was used a collective singular noun, the correction maid bye the reader was incorrect.

No comments:

Post a Comment