Monday, October 4, 2010

Project 365 - W26

Week 26. Fingers crossed about Brussels!

092710 - Spectators

Monday. It was 'busy,' meaning I found things to do in the Photo Bubble. Even though the reporters were working on things, we had no photo requests for the day, actually for the entire week. And what's really annoying - a reporter from the sports desk, who knew she had 3 volleyball games to cover that week earlier than Monday morning, just waited until the last minute to put her requests in. And they were crappy requests, too! No information whatsoever. She didn't even bother to tell us the sport, let alone where on the high school it would held. I sometimes wonder if it's just this semester or if reporters are always this pathetic. Okay, I'm being severe. It comes from my frustration -- because if you can't follow simple directions, how can you accurately investigate a story?

What I found to do was look through community calendars and make FYI photo requests. Which actually turned out to be very helpful this week (according to Brian) because it gave us stuff to do and take pictures of. So, come Monday morning, I will search the week's calendars for events. I think one of the reasons why Brian likes it is because he likes being able to 'get one up on' the print desk by telling them things they don't know (but should).

And this picture? What does this picture have to do with anything? Well, right at the end of my shift, there was an announcement over the police scanner (yes, we have a police scanner, which alerts us to happening news...) about a woman being pried out of a car. At the intersection of Rogers and Fifth Street (an intersection I drive through at least twice a day). So Tim rushed right over there (before the reporter went out to the scene, too ;) I took this picture with my iPhone as I was driving by the accident. This guy was one of many watching all the action.

092810

Tuesday. So I felt like taking goofy pictures of myself today. This was the winner - me as the cranky librarian.

092910

Wednesday. This is one of those pictures where I just want to smother Riley with kisses because he looks so sweet. I love my Ri-Ri. I also though the picture was noteworthy because of how he was lying across the pillows. He doesn't usually lie across both pillows like this.

093010 - Crazy Kids

Thursday. This day, I journeyed to the Smiths to help babysit for their marrieds class. They were expecting 14 kids, so having an adult there (rather than just Adriannah) was needed. The kids were rambunctious is the only word I would use. Just pressing boundaries all over the place. And, the worst offender was Adriannah, which I didn't expect and don't understand. I mean, it was like she was deliberately trying to not be helpful. And I don't know if it was just her trying to be funny, but it was annoying. We were trying to act out the story of Esther and it was like every time she had her part to play, she was deliberately going off script and saying things that weren't part of the story and shouldn't be part of the story. Her brother can be difficult to keep on task and maybe she was just happy not to be responsible for doing the herding.

(Big) Tracy also came over to help and was a good sport. He dressed up as King Xerxes with a towel turban and blue blanket cape. He'd never wrapped his head in a towel so I had to show him and then help. I thought everyone knew how to do that.

I almost picked this picture for today's pic, but I thought that this one fit more the situation. Jace is on the floor because Reece just 'shot' him with his gun.

100110 - Sergeant Armentrout

Friday. My application for the Brussels program was due and I had one thing left on my list: getting fingerprinted for my FBI background check (and Brussels visa application). Kip from International Programs told me that the MU Police could help me solve my problem, so I journeyed over to the Maryland Avenue garage to get my fingerprints. When I got there, I found out they usually do fingerprinting on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. This was Friday, and the day my application was due. Ah! So, as the receptionist went back to see if there was someone to help me, I prayed some and God came through. Amen, God! This is the nice sergeant (Jerry Armentrout) that was nice enough to fingerprint me. It was interesting to chat while he rolled my prints and nice enough to pose for a portrait. I prompted him to give me a stern face :)

100210

Saturday. Stinking dog!!! Well, it turns out that Riley has been constipated lately and the last 2 nights has kept me up all night. The first night it was annoying and Friday night it was frustrating! Arg. What does a dog park have to do with anything? This is where I figured out that Riley was constipated, because he kept trying to poop and nothing was coming out.

I was planning on going to the Roots 'N Blues 'N BBQ Festival to take some pics, but was too tired. Slept about 5 hours between 8 am and 1 pm. (Getting no sleep 2 nights in a row wears on a person.) Then had practice @ 2 for the special Song and Praise Worship Service practice -- doing a song by Sherwin Mackintosh which has some really awkward rhythms. Unnatural. Chia-Wei heard them do the song at the International Leadership Conference in Miami and he mentioned that the way they sang it was *different* than the way that it's written. But instead of trying to do it in a way that feels natural, we're doing it the way it's written. I'm not bitter at all. Nor am I bitter at how the last third of the song is *extremely* high - like I get to sing up into the F above the high C. And since my voice has been off (not singing) for 3 months - ouch. And on top of that, I still have that pesky problem of squeaking when I sing a B (I think that's the note). It's really annoying.

So after practice, I still felt rather crappy so I decided, since it was such a nice cool day (yay, October!), to take the boys out to the dog park. Dudley was in rare form and kept trying to constantly hump Riley (I have yet to figure out why or how to train him to stop. It's only Riley he does this too. It's so weird.) I was able to help a dog (Goober) who had never really been to the dog park and was (fear) growling, which freaked out his owner, who worried that Goober would get attacked or something. I told her that most likely, he was stressed because she had him on a leash inside the park, so he didn't feel like he could run away from something scary. When she finally let him off the leash, he was fine. He actually played a bunch with his friend, Luxurious, the Pomeranian.

After the dog park, I headed into the Missourian and helped edit pictures from the Roots 'N Blues 'N BBQ Festival. Read about it in my blogpost here. They got some awesome pictures!

100310

Sunday. So last night I got to go to sleep, although I couldn't fall asleep until after 2 because of a migraine! Stupid thing. This picture is an homage to me asleep. It wasn't as long as I wanted it to be, but at least it was a good night's sleep.

And on a side note, Riley finally was able to poop. Of course, it was inside after I left for church. Which led Tracy to let the dogs outside and then they got out and wandered the neighborhood for about 10 minutes. It is nice, though, that when I whistle, they come back (so I drove back from church and brought them home). (And stinky Cullen decided to run off down the block as we were going inside. So I had to drive down the street and get him again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment