Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Few of My Entries for CPOY

CPOY, or the College Photographer of the Year competition, was founded by Cliff and Vi Edom in 1945. It's one of my favorite things about attending the master's program at MU. More than 600 students from 130 colleges and universities participate in the hopes of getting a nod. But what I really love about it is getting to hear the judges, well-known professionals in the field, discuss the works submitted and the field in general. Last year's judges included Barry Locher, Seth Gitner, Nicole Frugé, Lara Solt and Zach Wise. I walk away from every category's judging with little nuggets to apply to my own craft. And ideas for projects that I'm interested in doing.

The deadline for entries was October 5th at 11:59:59 pm. So, when I was working on my submission, I was one of those people who was trying to upload at the last minute and who overwhelmed the system. It was really frustrating. I kept getting these errors and my images wouldn't load, and then I couldn't submit them, because I advertently didn't get my permission code. So at 12 midnight, I surrendered to the fact that I had nothing entered in CPOY this year. Which was a bummer, because I had some stuff this year that I really liked. But I was at peace with the whole thing. I mean, I could feel frustrated because it always seems to happen where I just need 1 more hour, despite how I plan...

But then today, I checked my e-mail and discovered that I had until 11:59:59 pm on October 6th to submit my images. I wasn't sure if that meant submitting what was on the site or if I could upload more. But I figured that I would try it (the uploading part) and if it was out of bounds, then they just wouldn't allow it. When I was about to finish and submit my stuff, I discovered this message (right) on the home page. So it all was going to go! I didn't get to turn in everything I planned on, but I got to turn in some of what I wanted to. I feel very grateful that I was able to at least submit *something.* Fingers are crossed that I at least get a nod (like make it into the second round of judging). I have a 1:600 chance.

So here's some of the images I chose:

In the General News catergory:

_MG_5099

To inaugurate the opening of a new and larger building, members of Columbia Second Chance's board cut a giant yellow ribbon, on April 20, 2010. A no-kill shelter, the new facility is twice the size of the animal rescue's previous location, enabling them to help more "second-hand" pets.

Portfolio_0010

Microphones wait as the crew of MSA Productions/B&M Stage Productions prepare the stage in Peace Park, on Friday, Sept. 25, 2009. The company, co-owned by Bob Reeves, has worked every Roots 'N Blues 'N BBQ Festival, and this year it is providing all the sound and power for the event.

Portfolio_0018

Michael Butterworth of Butterworth Music adjusts the tuning hammer slightly as he tunes one of the two baby grand pianos that will be used in tonight's duel between Sutu Forte and Ken Kehner, as part of the First Night New Year's Eve festivities at the Missouri Theatre Center for the Arts, on Thursday, December 31, 2009. Kehner was Forte's jazz instructor at The Juilliard School in New York City.

In the Feature category:

121809_FieldElem_0005

First grader Devin Graves works to catch a snowflake as he and his class walk back from watching the Columbia College Cougars play the Lyon (Ark.) College Scots on Friday, December 18, 2009. Graves attends Field Elementary, which had partnered for several years with Columbia College and is moving to a new location after the 18th. The basketball game was a way to celebrate this partnership, as well as saying good-bye, and was attended by the entire elementary school.

DonorDogs_0003

After the fur has been shaved and the needle inserted, the collection process begins, on Dec. 2, 2009. While a dog can safely give blood every 21 days, each of the College of Veterinary Medicine's five greyhounds donates blood about 6 times a year for 2-3 years, and then are adopted out to loving homes.

char_0004

A brief respite for Tammy Kelliehan as the two twins guzzle their juice. From left: Keyah, Eric, Erykah, Tammy, and Kyla. Forty-one year old Kelliehan has taken in her daughter's five children, including two sets of twins, aged 2 and 1.

Scattering Feed

Rey Perera scatters feed for his farm's rams on Tuesday, February 16, 2010. The Pereras own the Petite Saline Sheep & Llama Farm in Boonville, Mo., and specialize in the Karakul breed. They keep their rams and ewes separate, except during breeding season, because it keeps the rams calmer and less likely to butt Perera or each other.

Ryan_0001

Kasey Ryan unpacks some of her glassware as she works to ready her new business on Sept. 24, 2009. Recently divorced, Ryan recently decided to open a restaurant as an extension of her catering business as a means of supporting her family of 4 children.

No comments:

Post a Comment