Friday, September 3, 2010

So I'm Taking Photo Desk Management

What's that, you say? It's serving as a photo editor for the Columbia Missourian. I was 'lucky' and ended up with the Monday morning shift, which means I get to be at the Missourian at 9am. Yes, I'm a little bitter because I *hate* Monday mornings especially. I always seem to have a really difficult time sleeping on Sunday night, so Mondays are torturous. I also feel a little bitter because I accidentally signed up for this Friday's shift, the first night of our bi-annual Jubilee. So, not only am I working *on* Labor Day, because even though the whole of rest of campus is celebrating the Labor Day holiday, even though there is no class, etc., the Missourian is still putting out a paper. Oh, joy. Oh, rapture. I am so lucky.

Anyway. Here's the first set of pictures that I edited (with the help of new professor Brian Kratzer). Shot by Taylor Glascock, it features the Missouri Contemporary Ballet's first day of practice after their summer intersession.

I know this feeling will fade (at least I hope so), but right now I feel so inadequate. And a little afraid. That I don't know what I'm doing and I'll pick terrible pictures. I sigh. I was talking to Brian about it a little today, so I feel a little better about the whole thing. I just remember when I was in staff, it felt like the editors were so confident and sure of their pics and what they were doing. Wow. I guess I must appear that way to those staffers... Oh, the irony!

Anyway. Here's the pics:

This one was my favorite of her images. I really liked the moment.


It really captured the emotions that ballet can portray and produce. Very nice.

One of the things that I really liked about the shoot was the background colors/pictures on the wall. They juxtapose really well with the dancers.

This picture is another one I really like and Taylor's favorite.



I really love how each of them are doing something different, like I can feel them mentally preparing for this practice.

The Missourian chose to run those pictures as well as this one. This is the one they ran large:



This one was very popular because of the shape that the dancers made.

Now, I mentioned that the designers ran these three images. Unfortunately, they did *this* to the long horizontal:




Doesn't that just look horrible? What were they thinking?

The other pictures included in the gallery:


Love this one because of how goofy it is. The man (incidentally, the one who choreographed the performance they were practicing) holding the baby. The woman, straining, as if to say, 'let go of my baby!'



This was a crowd pleaser because of the natural light from the skylights.

No comments:

Post a Comment