Sunday, August 22, 2010

To the Lighthouse

A book I did not enjoy the least, but my trip to Maine's most photographed lighthouse was quite enjoyable.

IMG_0595a

They are finally planting a church in Portland and today there was an outdoor service at Fort Williams Park. (Didn't realize this until I got to the USM campus and no one was there.) I forgot how small 30 people felt. But it was nice remembering what it was like 10+ years ago when we started the church in Columbia. I felt a little envious of them all... But not in an evil way, but in an excited about it way. So how can I transport that to when I get home?

Sunday morning, my brother offered to take me to church - which I thought meant he was planning on staying for service. Nope -- butthead. He just planned on dropping me off.

The message was really good - on being more than conquerors (Ro 8:28-39). One of the things that I realized today, and Glenn's message drove home, too, was how in that passage it talks about us being *more* than that. I've always read it as greater, more effective at conquering, but today, when we first read it, I thought, it's about more than those people we consider conquerors. Doing more, being greater, more admirable for the feats that we perform. And Glenn's message very much kept driving home how we can become greater than our weaknesses, but also greater than conquerors like Napolean and Alexander the Great. Pretty cool. Good times. (And it turns out that Glenn and Danielle know Vince and Robin! Small kingdom.)

IMG_0579a

Glen Petruzzi preaching. I *really* hate that my camera battery is dead. I could have taken a much better picture if I wasn't forced to use my iPhone.

IMG_0585a

I had a good time. My fellowship time with the fine folks above was cut short by Mom and Alex showing up, ready to explore the park. So I didn't get to meet as many people as I would have liked, but I was glad that we went together to explore the park. (Even if Alex didn't bring me comfortable shoes! I'm thankful that Mom had some spare shoes that I could wear.)

Here are some pics from the Portland Head Light.

Port_Light

IMG_0591a

IMG_0608b

IMG_0610b

IMG_0620

At one point the path 'split.' And we ended up not really taking the path:

IMG_0615a

We got back on the trail and then followed another trail to go down to the water. Here's Alex helping my mom not fall down.

IMG_0626


I love this next one, because it's a great picture of my mom! Which is so rare. I caught her before she really posed.

IMG_0634

I also love this one. It appears to be Alex's favorite pose.

082210

No comments:

Post a Comment