Thursday, April 9, 2009

Balance and Fill

Hooray! I think I'm starting to get this...

Our next assignment has been balance and fill. Balancing is the term for when you take a picture with a window in the background and you can see both the outside and the inside. This is not a balanced shot:
The outside is really blown out to where you can't really see anything.

But this is:
Practically the exact same spot, but you can see the detail in the church across the street.

Fill is when you are someplace with heavy contrast between light and shadow and you use the flash to reduce that contrast. This shot needs some fill:

This has some:

For this assignment, I photographed several things. About 30% of my pictures came from a Women's Retreat at Memorial Park in Jefferson City. About 65% of my pictures came from "There's No Place Like Home," a fundraiser for Columbia Second Chance. They (and the Missouri Theatre) sponsored a silent auction and costume contest and showed "The Wizard of Oz" on the big screen. My dog, Riley, was one of the Totos (there were 2).

Here's the picture I chose to submit for a grade:

Here's some other pictures from the event that I really liked :)







No comments:

Post a Comment