Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Shots from my EPJ Project

For my EPJ Project, I have been working with Romanda Walker, a 31-year-old PhD student.  Romanda has Spinal Muscular Atrophy, which is characterized by the degeneration of motor neurons which results in progressive muscular atrophy (wasting away) and weakness. As a result, Romanda hasn't been able to walk since around age 6. But she's very handy with her wheelchair.

Getting to know her has really made me aware of how I take some things for granted. For example, being able to use the lavatory whenever I want. Because Romanda needs help moving in and out of her wheelchair, she's at the mercy of others when she has the urge to go. If it was me, I might feel bitter about things like that, but Romanda isn't like that. She's very kind and giving. Here's some pictures from my chapter on how she gets ready in the morning.


_MG_5753

_MG_5767a


_MG_5784a

_MG_5825

_MG_5836a

_MG_5871a

Getting Ready - 017/365

No comments:

Post a Comment