Monday, April 12, 2010

Project 365 - W01

Okay, so I'm embarking on my third attempt at taking at least one picture a day for a year. I almost made it the first time until I got overwhelmed with school. The second time, I mislaid the object I was using as the focus of my project. This time, I think I might just make it, partially because I'm incorporating my iPhone in the process. I'm wanting each picture to represent something significant about my day. Here's the first 7 pictures.

The Start of It All - 001/365

Inspired by Lost, a series that I love and which is sadly ending after 6 seasons, I thought I would start my project with my eyeball.

Sleeping Dudley - 002/365

A picture of Dudley sprawled out next to my roommate, Tracy. It almost could be Riley, but his ears say Dudley.


Jay Dickman Speaks - 003/365

Jay Dickman, a Pulitzer-prize winning photographer, came and spoke on campus. I enjoyed his presentation on free-lancing, because it reinforced everything that I've been learning in my Business Practices class. As part of his presentation, whoever asked him the 'best' question would win his book, Perfect Digital Photography. I asked what his favorite project was that he'd ever worked on, and ended up winning the book :)

Sleepy - 004/365

One of the things that I've been doing for a while is fostering dogs. This is a picture of my latest foster dog, Max (on the right). Max is a big sweet puff-ball who also can be a big handful. He's very smart so consequently, he can get very bored. He also likes to escape containment (meaning jumping over my fence and running amok). Most recently, Max decided to jump out of my car's window when I was driving south on Providence right before Stadium Drive. I never expected him to do that, particularly because we were in a moving vehicle and there was a big something sitting between him and the window. My theory is he saw where he was supposed to live and didn't want to miss it; the couple that found him has taken him for a week-long stay to potentially adopt him. My fingers are crossed.

He's pictured here with one of my other dogs, Cullen.
Trashcan Olympics - 005/365

While hanging out in the Photojournalism lab, Tim was experimenting with using multiple flash. This is a picture of Alex (his roommate) attempting to nail a basket with a wad of paper. (I was able to do it - nail a basket - on my 3rd shot - it took the boys a little longer ;) This was the image I was looking for - one that shows the flashes going off. I chose this picture because it embodies what I love about graduate school at the J-School - people experimenting, doing things that are a little weird but it isn't weird at the same time, just the coolness that is photography.

CSC Grand Opening - 006/365

It's the grand opening of CSC's new building. Pretty exciting. CSC stands for Columbia Second Chance, an animal rescue organization. They recently moved to a new facility which is much larger and more tailored to their needs. They rescue dogs and cats. I have fostered many dogs for them.

Stylin' in Erica's Hat - 007/365

Ken King in a jaunty straw hat. I like using goofy pictures for my iPhone and this is now my picture for Ken.

No comments:

Post a Comment