Friday, September 30, 2011

It's That Time of Year Again


What time of year, you say? CPOY time.

For the uninitiated, that's College Photographer of the Year, an international competition for photography students that is in its 66th year. I've been lucky to attend three years of judging; I learn something every year I go.

This year, like all the years before, it was something that I procrastinated in choosing so that it came down to the absolute deadline before I turned them in. So my blood is pumping and the adrenaline is going and then I press submit.

But, unlike last year, I submitted things in several categories. I'm sure, like last year, I won't win anything, but that's okay. Really.

Single Picture Categories - 5 images *maximum* may be entered in each of these categories.

01 Spot News - A picture of an unscheduled or breaking event for which no advance planning was possible. Examples: fires, accidents or natural disasters. I submitted 5 pictures in this category.

02 General News - A picture of a scheduled political, social or cultural event for which advance planning was possible. Examples: demonstrations, staged promotional or political events and other daily news. Also submitted 5 pictures in this category.

03 Feature - A candid picture of a "found situation" containing strong human interest, a fresh view of the ordinary or humor. In all cases the dignity of the subject must be respected. Didn't do any of these this year. Nothing felt right.

04 Sports Action - A picture that increases understanding of and appreciation for sport through the capture of peak action and the competitive spirit. Nothing here (or the sports feature either). Unlike some, I don't really enjoy photographing sports.

05 Sports Feature - A sports-related picture with strong human interest or pictorial quality that celebrates the role athletics play in the lives of athletes and fans. Examples: The joy of victory or agony of defeat, fan reaction and interaction, athlete portraits.

06 Portrait - A picture of a person that reveals the essence of the subject's character. Submitted 5 images.

07 Pictorial - A graphic image that expresses beauty, tension, harmony, chaos and other abstract concepts through composition, tonal and color relationships more than through human interaction. And I think I forgot to submit these ones. Of course, once the deadline has passed, you can't see what you've submitted, so I don't remember.

Multiple Picture Categories - All multiple picture story entries must include a story summary. There is a limit of 5 entries per category.

09 Domestic Picture Story - A narrative picture story or thematic essay photographed in your home country that either reports on significant events, celebrates life, portrays sport or explores environmental, social, economic or political topics. 8 photos maximum per story. I submitted 2 stories.

10 International Picture Story - A narrative picture story or thematic essay photographed in a foreign country that reports on significant events, celebrates life, portrays sport or explores environmental, social, economic or political topics. 8 photos maximum per story. I submitted 2 stories, both featuring protest demonstrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment