Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Project: Glass

For our second project, we were given the task of either lighting glass or metal - no small feat! I was teamed with Vivian Esparza. Originally, I was going to do metal and she was going to do glass, but we both kept thinking of ideas for the other to shoot. So we decided to switch. I had two ideas. One was to shoot a hurricane lamp and some old photographs. The one I chose instead was one I titled, "Decadence." My caption read: "Decadence reigns as the champagne is poured. Stacked in a pyramid three glasses high, traditional symbols of excess are displayed: champagne in glasses containing an antique gold ring adorned with diamonds and rubies, chocolate-covered truffles wrapped in blue foil, and fresh succulent strawberries." I was torn between two pictures. And I really wanted to photoshop out a slight imperfection in the image - a spot on the light board.

Here's the image I submitted:



Here's the lighting diagram for the picture:



And here's the one that I also really liked, but didn't choose because the ring wasn't lit as well.



I ended up really liking the bubbles. Vivian wasn't as big a fan, which is why I got rid of them, but in the end, it seemed to give some added energy to the image. If I had to do it over again, I would have had the bubbles and the snoot. (Or else I'd photoshop some of the one onto the other. Hmmm...)

No comments:

Post a Comment