Wednesday, February 3, 2010

W. Eugene Smith, Photography Made Difficult

"Photo is a small voice, at best, but sometimes - just sometimes - one photograph or a group of them can lure our senses into awareness. Much depends upon the viewer; in some, photographs can summon enough emotion to be a catalyst to thought." -Eugene Smith

We watched "W. Eugene Smith: Photography Made Difficult." As Rita promised, the acting by Peter Riegert was cheesy. (I actually thought that they could have just used voice overs and not had *any* of the cheesy acting and it would have been a better movie.) But I loved much of what was said in the movie. And like the 'nerd' that I am, I took notes so that I could remember the nuggets of wisdom.

Quotes from the movie:
  • "I photographed the war to comment on greed and stupidity." -Smith
  • "human lumps of fright" -a description of Japanese civilians during WWII driven out from hiding

  • "My people could be these people... an accident of birth and home."
  • "He was close to a breakdown most of the time."
  • "He was always looking for an imminent truth."
  • "Let ideas come from the subject itself... Try to learn what makes them tick."
  • "They didn't understand the time it takes to learn a subject." -Smith's conflict with LIFE over his process
  • "I was careful to take only two pictures." Smith describing his participation in a wake in Deleitosa, Spain. Until today, I didn't know who made this picture, but I was familiar with it (and impacted by it).
  • Side thought: What about doing a project on the Muslim experience in Brussels, or the immigrant issue in the EU?
  • "How I hate strife." So ironic, considering Smith seemed to cause it all the time, because he only thought about himself.
  • "Following me around, night and day. I got used to it, I got up and did what I had to do." Maude Callen, a nurse midwife in the American South
  • "I want to do something to take away the guns of the bigoted."
  • "A superficial story because of its thinness."
  • "Is honest journalism a fact or ideal or figure of speech?"
  • "give the essense of the city"
  • "He was a passionate man who overdid it."
  • "I needed 50 pictures, he gave me 10K." Stefan Lorant, regarding the assignment for his book, Pittsburgh: Story of an American City
  • "Pittsburgh was... unfocused." Stefan Lorant
  • "He had to live with his soul." How people excused Smith behavior, like abandoning his wife and small children so that he could work on his project on Pittsburgh
  • "An epic - so huge that it was bound to fail." Thoughts on Smith's project on the City of Pittsburgh, which he was able to finally organize after 4 years in a spread in Popular Photography
  • "His work was the most important thing in his life."
  • "delicate details and habitual rhythms"
  • "I regret the fact that I cannot slip quietly through life without friction." Again, ironic to me, considering his behavior - like it's not *his* fault but everyone else's
  • "I am interested in shaking a man's heart."
  • "Pain itself is a dramatic element."
  • "They saw that we were working very hard and were dedicated." Smith's wife, Aileen M. Smith, about their work amongst the villagers of Minamata, who were poisoned by mercury
  • "For the mother, it was her telling the world about her child." Aileen M. Smith
And finally, a nugget of wisdom from Rita: "The pictures in your mind can get in the way of seeing what's happening in front of you."

No comments:

Post a Comment